Monday 30 September 2013

A Whisky Live Surprise!



http://www.oldhobartdistillery.com/images/large/OHD-port-cask-matured-43.jpg

Whisky: Overeem Port Cask Matured

Distillery/Brand:
Overeem

Bottling:
Overeem Port Cask Matured

Region:
Australia

ABV:
43%

Colour:
Young Sauternes

Review:
Overeem first came to my attention at Whisky Live Perth.  I'd heard of this distillery in Tasmania, as oh so many Australian distilleries are located, but I'd never tried it before.

While at Whisky Live Perth I was chatting with the owner of Sullivan's Cove, I'd just had his whiskies which I'd enjoyed, and he was running the stand for Overeem, which is a very common thing over here for the Australian distilleries to share one another's stands and talk about everyone's different whiskies.

I was blown away by the Overeem range, with the sherry cask matured cask strength instantly becoming my favorite whisky of the event.  I had to know more about these whiskies so I contacted Overeem about purchasing some samples and pretty quickly they arrived.

Tonight I'm starting the tasting with Overeem's Port Cask Matured, non cask strength.

It's from cask 45 and is bottle 121 out of 168.  That's right, all of the Overeem's are small batchs and they are no age statements.  I'm honestly going to guess that the whiskies are between 4 and 6 years old.

I crack the first bottle open and pour it into it's glencairn. 

Let's see what we shall see, shall we?

You definitely get the port casks influence with the whisky being a wee bit spicey with cinnamon and nutmeg, heaps of fruit, strawberries, vanilla and caramel, hint of nuts (hazelnut I'd say) and a small amount of cocoa.

Nice, very nice!

Let's see if the palate matches the nose.

Loads of vanilla, heaps of it in fact, more caramel, strawberries, hint of coffee and a wee bit of dark chocolate. 

Delicious!

There's a soft finish to the whisky, mild and easy going with faint fruits, cocoa and again the vanilla dominating.

Very nice!

And from memory my favorite Overeem was the Sherry Cask strength.  I think I'm going to enjoy the next few days quite a bit!

If you're looking for a good Australian whisky, I'd suggest giving any of the Overeem's a shot.  A bottle of the non cask strength Port cask will run at around $130 a bottle which is a reasonable price for how good this whisky is.  If you get a chance to try any of the Overeems do so!

Nose:       23/25
Taste:       23/25
Finish:      20/25
Balance:   20/25

Overall:    86/100

No comments:

Post a Comment