Thursday 24 October 2013

The Whisky Shall Come To You Pt 1!



Whisky: Macallan 10 Year Old Sherry Oak


Distillery/Brand:
Macallan

Bottling:
Macallan 10 Year old Sherry Oak

Region:
Speyside

ABV:
40%

Colour:
Young Sauternes

A Quick Note:  As I've been sick lately and due to this I sadly have been unable to enjoy the beauty that is the water of life and folks have been emailing asking for more reviews I thought that I'd post some reviews that I did earlier for another website.  The following review was done on April 19, 2012.

Review:
So my wife and I have been planning on going to the whisky bar in our city for months now. Every time we make plans SOMETHING always come up. I get called into work a day early, we can't afford to go out, a public holiday that we forgot about is occurring on the day we're going and they're closed or as just happened this last time around, my wife and I got sick.

This has been extremely frustrating for me as this bar has quite a few whiskies I've been meaning to try for a while and so as the day was ending yesterday I was feeling a wee bit down. To the rescue comes my brother in law! I get a text message from him saying "If you can't go to the whisky then the whisky shall come to you!"

A couple hours later my brother and sister in law arrive at the house and he brings with him a bag of whisky. In this bag are a couple whiskies I've never had before along with a couple I've tasted.
So first out comes one of my favorite speyside distilleries Macallan. This Macallan is a 10 yr old Sherry casks which I've never tasted, having tasted, bought and loved the 12 yr old Fine Oak I know I'm in for a treat!

Now as I nose this lovely whisky the smell of sherry strongly comes through the glass. Wonder why that is...oh yeah this is the sherry casks haha. But along with the sherry comes a bit of apples and cinnamon.

Quite an enjoyable nose and I know right away that I'm in speyside land!

Now to taste! No big surprise but the sherry shines all the way through the palate with a bit of the cinnamon and the apple are there, but they're there in the background. Now this bottle had been open for quite a while and I could tell that there had been a bit of oxidation but the flavors were nice, the problem that I could tell is I'm sure that the whisky would have been a bit more complex when first opened. I enjoyed the flavors, but I'm pretty sure I would of enjoyed a freshly opened bottle more.

The finish is what I register as a Macallan Finish. Lots of sweetness, in this case sherry with a bit of vanilla that lingers for a bit and does make you want to go get another drink. A lovely dram that I really could have tried brand new.

It's not the most complex malt in the world, but a very enjoyable one just the same. Just from the drinks I had out of this bottle that had been opened for weeks if not longer it made me want to go out and buy the Macallan 10 yr Sherry cask. Another A+ in my speyside ring!! This would be a whisky that I'd be happy to introduce a newbie too.

Nose:       23/25
Taste:       19/25
Finish:       22/25
Balance:    21/25

Overall:     85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment