Monday 11 March 2013

March Whisky Club Meets; The Kiwi Dram!

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Whisky: South Island Single Malt 21 Year Old

 

Distillery/Brand:

The New Zealand Whisky Company

 

Bottling:

South Island Single Malt 21 Year Old

 

Region:

New Zealand

 

ABV:

40%

 

Colour:

Pale Gold
 
Review:
Now during our March whisky club meeting I saw that Helvetica, the whisky bar where we were meeting still had a bottle of South Island Single Malt 21 yr old.

My brother in law and I tried it during our last club meeting, however I wasn't able to grab any good tasting notes on it.

That was a big shame as that lovely little whisky was one of the clear winners of the night.

However when I see that they still have a bottle of it I take it upon myself to suffer through another dram of it in the interests of science.

God I love the nose on it.

Coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, toffee, toasted oak, vanilla, stewed pears.

Very lovely and enjoyable nose and it's just like I remember it being.  So inviting.

Time to dive in for a taste, once again folks, it's just in the name of science.  I take no pleasure in doing this.

Pears, vanilla, toffee, little bit of cocoa with a very lovely mouthfeel that feels so much bigger then the 40% abv that it sits at.

A long slightly floral chocolatey finish ends off this lovely little whisky.

However there is one thing that pisses me off about this whisky.  It's almost impossible to find it in Australia.  If I want it badly enough it has to fly over Australia, over Perth where I live, across Asia and Europe until it lands in the UK at the Whisky Exchange or Abbey Whisky or Master of Malt where I then purchase it for about $130 AUS and it's then shipped back over Europe and Asia until it lands back, almost where it left from, in Perth.

Not Fair!

However if you do get a chance to try this whisky, do so.  Stupidly cheap for a lovely little 21 year old whisky.

Nose:         23/25
Taste:        22/25
Finish:        22/25
Balance:     22/25
 
Overall:      89/100

No comments:

Post a Comment