Monday 6 May 2013

Glenlivet Comes Through For Me!

 

Whisky: Glenlivet 18 Year Old

 

Distillery/Brand:

Glenlivet

 

Bottling:

Glenlivet 18 Year old

 

Region:

Speyside

 

ABV:

43%

 

Colour:

Pale Gold
 
 
Review:
Last night I decided after a very long day of watching movies, playing video games, prepping for my wife's and I upcoming holiday to Scotland and talking whisky to crack open a sample bottle of whisky that had been sent to me.

Glenlivet 18 year old sent to me by my whisky friend, Systemdown of Queensland.

Up to him introducing me to a sample of Nadurra, all of my experiences with Glenlivet had been fairly unexceptional.

I personally found the 12 year old boring and the Nadurra that I purchased was unbalanced and overly floral and sweet.

However Systemdown assured me that Nadurra was a good little whisky and he proved me correct with his sample of Nadurra and so when I saw the 18 year old Glenlivet I was a little intrigued.

So when dinner arrived, meat lovers pizza, I decided to give it a crack.

Man am I glad that I did!

It has a lovely little nose of fruit, apples and pears, cinnamon, toffee, honey, vanilla, oak, little floral and a very slight cocoa aroma that appears and disappears.

Very cool!

A little sweet and complex nose that really does invite me to take a sip.

I'll oblige!

Mmmmm very nice.

Apples, pears, hint of oak, honey, again a little floral, vanilla, caramel.  But it's balanced very nicely.

Just a little too sweet for my own personal preferences, but still very nice.

A long soft lingering finish ends this whisky with toffee and apples that linger on the back of the palate.

Delicious and yes this is what I hope for when I think Glenlivet!

Even better is this whisky is fairly priced, running at around $115 to $120 AUS, which I think is pretty good bang for buck on this single malt.

Looking for a nice sipping whisky to while away the evening, but prefer nothing smokey or peaty?

I'd give this whisky a try!


Nose:           23/25       
Taste:          22/25
Finish:         21/25
Balance:       22/25

Overall:       88/100

No comments:

Post a Comment