Thursday 22 November 2012

Glowing Embers on the Tongue!

 

Whisky: Caol Ila SMWS 53.173 Glowing embers on the tongue

 

Distillery/Brand:

Caol Ila 

Bottling:

Caol Ila SMWS 53.173 Glowing embers on the tongue

 

Region: 

Islay

 

ABV:

59.8%

 

Colour:

Chardonnay

Review:
My wife and I recently attended a Scotch Malt Whisky Society tasting where we'd tried a Glenmorangie New Make Spirit, a Glenmorangie which tricked me (dirty yummy Glenmorangie!) our first Glen Moray and now we were moving into Islay territory.

When we nose the whisky it's immediately smokey, big and beautiful and it brings a smile to my face.

Smoke, cinders, peppers, beach wood, brine, bacon, citrus.

Big and complex!

Lovely!!

Time to taste!

Again the smoke is ever present on the tongue, as it should be on an Islay.

But it's not just smoke, it's a lovely ashfilled campfire. It's lovely sweet malts, creosote, butter, vanilla, lots of salt, barley, and so much more that I can't put a finger on.

The finish is lovely, smoke filled, filled with brine and yet beautifully balanced by sweetness.

A sexy whisky!

We're then informed that this whisky is from Caol Ila, which even though I have a 30 yr old bottle waiting for me in Scotland, I've never tried.

But I know that I love it!

It actually makes me start to debate which of the Islay distilleries are my favorite to be honest. I got a couple more Islay distilleries to try before my final judgment is done, but I do believe that we might have a top contender.

Even more interesting is that this guy is probably the oldest Islay I've ever tried, coming in at 16 yrs old.

A beautiful whisky to try and enjoy if you've got $253 Aussie dollars lying around, but a lovely and enjoyable whisky and worth it!

Nose:       23/25
Taste:      23/25
Finish:      22/25
Balance:    22/25

Overall:     90/100

No comments:

Post a Comment